Skincare Routine for Oily Skin
Oily skin can be a frustrating and challenging condition. It can cause blemishes and enlarged pores and it can make your skin appear shiny and greasy, especially the T-zone area; the area from your forehead, nose, and chin. If you wear makeup daily, you will most likely find that it does not have much staying power regardless of the amount of make-up you wear. While at times it is unpredictable, oily skin luckily is a condition that can be controlled. This is why Kirra has given you the best skincare routine for oily skin utilising natural products.
What Causes Oily Skin?
Everyone’s skin has a certain amount natural oil or sebum; oily skin produces sebum to excess. Your skin’s production of oil can be affected by many factors including stress, diet, lack of sleep, and hormonal changes. Blackheads, pimples, and acne are very common with this skin type.
How to Treat Oily Skin?
The aim in treating oily skin is to reduce the amount of excess oil on your skin, but not strip the skin entirely. A common mistake in treating oily skin is over cleansing which strips the skin of it natural barrier and can make the skin overcompensate and produce more oil over time.
Here are some tips for those who experience oily skin:
- Do not over cleanse!
- Avoid using alcohol-based products; it can over dry the skin and overtime make our skin produce more oil.
- Use light moisturising lotions instead of creams and ointments.
- Use a sunscreen with SPF30+ or higher.
- Use a mattifying primer for make-up application.
- Try eliminating processed sugar from your diet.
What is the Best Skincare Routine for Oily Skin?
It is important to look for and use products that are nourishing and balancing. It is best to find a skincare routine for oily skin that works and to stick to it. We recommend:
- Cleanse twice daily with a water or gel-based cleanser
- Use an AHA exfoliant twice a week
- Treat your skin with a clay mask to draw out excess oil and soothe the skin. Apply for 10 minutes and use 1-2 times per week.
- Apply a water-based serum such as Niacin-amide or Vitamin C twice daily
- Use an oil free moisturiser to lock it all in!
- Optional: (PM) Apply a retinol serum 1-2 times a week. Be careful to not use this at the same time as a AHA exfoliant as both exfoliate the skin.
It is common during hormonal changes such as puberty that individuals may suffer from excess oil on the body, especially on the neck, back and chest. To help control this:
- Ditch you regular creamy based body wash and swap it for a salicylic acid, glycolic acid, or lactic acid-based cleanser.
- Shower immediately after exercising as bacteria thrives on sweaty skin.
- Use a gentle body scrub 1-2 times per week
- Apply a light non-comedogenic body lotion
Excess sebum can also affect your scalp. While natural oils are beneficial for healthy hair, an overproduction can leave hair looking flat and greasy. Here are some tips to help control an oily scalp:
- Wash hair with a clarifying shampoo and conditioner.
- Apply and massage in a scalp serum before shampooing. Look for clarifying ingredients such as glycolic acid or salicylic
- Add a scalp scrub to your routine as it will help to remove the buildup of product and excess sebum. Use 1-2 times a week to help with removing product build up, dead skin and excess oil
- Only use conditioner from the mid lengths to the ends of your hair
What Kirra Products work for Oily Skin?
As suggested above we have many products that are perfect for combating and helping with your skincare routine for oily skin:
Kirra Face Cleanser
Kirra Detox Mask
Kirra Resurfacing Mask
Kirra Facial Serum
Kirra Body Cleanser
Citrus Kiss – Salt and Sugar Body Scrub: Our combination of salts and sugars work gently buff away dry skin, while nourishing shea, coconut, and almond oils lock hydration. Orange and lemon peel powders give you a glow by brightening and evening out the skin tone.
Coconut Paradise – Salt and Sugar Body Scrub: A delicious blend of coconut, pink salt and sweet sugars gently buff the skin while white clay works to draw out any nasty impurities.